Wednesday, September 02, 2026

Consciousness, A Dead End

Consciousness, A Dead End: Perception, the Brain, and the Problem of Reality. Human beings have always tried to understand the reality we inhabit. We’ve created religions, philosophies, science, and more sophisticated instruments to investigate the universe. Yet there may be a problem more fundamental than any answer we might discover. The very instrument through which we investigate reality may be the barrier that prevents us from knowing reality independently of that instrument. I’m not treating consciousness as mystical or divine. It’s biological, and it gives us a narrow field. When I’m reading, I’m aware of these words, but not of my heart beating or the universe expanding. That narrowness is useful, but it tempts us to exaggerate what it gives us access to. And human ego makes that temptation stronger. So, when people claim consciousness grants cosmic access,the experience might be powerful, but the leap from feeling to cosmic truth isn’t supported. Philosophers have circled this problem for centuries. Descartes doubted everything, and he landed on “I think, therefore I am”, but that only secures the existence of a thinker, not the nature of the external world. Kant distinguished between appearances and the thing in itself. We can’t simply step outside our cognition. Schopenhauer put it bluntly, “The world is my representation.” That doesn’t necessarily mean the external world is imaginary, but for us, the world we experience is inseparable from the way we represent it. Science gives us powerful tools, microscopes, telescopes, particle detectors, and reproducible methods. But those instruments don’t drop us outside consciousness. The results are still interpreted by us. So science corrects countless errors, but it doesn’t give us a view from nowhere. And even if billions agree on an observation, that doesn’t create an observer outside humanity. History shows entire civilizations sharing beliefs later shown to be wrong. Of course, there are strong objections to this kind of skepticism. G.E. Moore simply raises his hand. “Here is a hand.” Ordinary reality is extremely hard to deny in practice. I accept the practical force of that. I’m not claiming that the external world doesn’t exist. The claim is narrower. We can’t step completely outside consciousness to compare our representation with reality itself, independently of any representation. If the world we experience is partly constructed by the brain, we can’t leave the brain to inspect the world independently to prove that. If an objective world exists independent of the brain, we can still only encounter it through the brain. Either way, everything available to us passes through perception, cognition, interpretation, consciousness. And that is why I call it a dead end. Consciousness is our instrument for discovering reality, but it may also be the veil through which reality is forever hidden. So, we are conscious enough to ask what reality is, but perhaps not to escape the conditions of asking.

No comments: